Thursday, May 26, 2011

Lessons

This past Tuesday I was sitting at a Starbucks in Bowling Green, post- local morning show and pre-9 a.m.-meeting.  Hunched over my computer as always, sipping an iced vanilla latte (venti--I'm addicted and it's bad). 

I barely noticed anyone around me. Then, quietly, someone near me says "have a nice day."  I looked up to see a young girl dropping napkin on my table and walking away.

Inside the napkin was a note: a verse from Philippians, and a testimony that God had blessed her by providing a way for her to have her college paid for, and for helping her father through a terrible sickness.

At first, I wanted to be a little offended.  Why of all the people in Starbucks did this girl single me out?  What made me look like such a sinner who needed her witness?

Calmer--albiet over-caffienated--thoughts prevailed.  This girl was feeling happy and blessed, and just wanted to share those blessings with someone else.  And who can blame her for that? If her witness was about happiness and peace, it was surely a message I could use.

Over the past few months I have felt extremely restless, like something just wasn't settled or should be happening for me... but just wasn't.  And this girl pointed out to me exactly what I wasn't doing right.

I tend to focus on goals that I am working toward, things that I want to have or to make happen, instead of stopping and enjoying the things that I have.  And that's no way to live!  All of those things that we work so hard for aren't worth it unless we enjoy them.  It's high time I focus on my blessings in life.  So:

1) I come home every day and "feel" home. Sure it's just an apartment.  But it has my piano and my furniture and my dog.  And I love every inch of the space. 
2) I have a dog that curls up with me without me asking. And early in the morning that is such a cozy thing.
3) I work with the BEST people in Kentucky. Hands down.  They are already like family and I can't imagine what I would do without them around to give me a good laugh and wise advice every day.
4) I have a boyfriend who helps with laundry and takes out the trash.  That, in my world, is priceless.
5) I have a family who loves me unconditionally and who are so much fun to be around.
6) And... (sound trumpets)... I have been given an answer to my restlessness! It seems as though I will be teaching a communications class at Georgetown College this fall.  Again, I work with the best people in Kentucky who are totally supportive and willing to work this into my schedule... and I'm so excited to have the opportunity to teach! It is DEFINITELY going to keep me busy this summer... restlessness gone!

Sure, I have so many goals yet to be attained, and SO many unknowns about my life and the turns that await me in coming months.  But... I am choosing today to be happy in the things that I have now.  Because there's a whole lot to be happy about.

No comments:

Post a Comment