Monday, May 2, 2011

What's So Great About Me Anyways?

My friend Ashley convinced me to start going to a personal trainer with her twice a week for the next several weeks.  Since I have yet to motivate myself this spring, I figured a good friend and a scary person to make me work out might be worth the try.  I came home today, put on my gym clothes, and headed to the gym, expecting to be mortified at how out of shape I am. But it was far worse; we didn't even work out--we just took BODY FAT and MEASUREMENTS!  Yikes.  And let me tell you, this trainer stuff is serious.  Our trainer is a big burly Brazlian dude with tattoos down to his wrists.  He talked to us a lot about our fitness goals and gave us "homework" to bring back tomorrow, when we really start training.  But, it does seem like it will work.  At the very least, my wallet is going to be lighter!

This is the first time in a while that I feel like I'm setting a concrete, measurable goal for myself, and it feels good.  I've been feeling a bit restless lately; not unhappy with anything particular in life, but just feeling like something is missing.  I can't put my finger on what it is. I'm generally an overachiever, and let's face it, I have functioned for the past several years now under a high level of stress.  Maybe the abscence of that stress has just thrown me off?  Or maybe now that the stress is gone, I don't know what to do with the time.  I am really enjoying reading more (ALMOST finished with Freedom!) and of course there's the personal trainer now... but is that enough?  What is enough to make you feel happy and fulfilled with just you?  Sometimes I feel like I'm good at a lot of things but not really great at anything. And is that a good or a bad thing? Is it better to be ok at a lot of things or to be incredible at one or two things?  And if so, what am I so great at? Or at least so good at? 

Update on the visit--I took Sean's family to Woodford Reserve, to lunch and shopping in Midway, and to Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate with a quick drive by Keeneland, the Castle in Versailles, and through Georgetown thrown in between. I think they had a good time--and if not, they did a magnificent job of pretending to have fun and tolerating my driving!  I don't expect that they will get here very often, so it was really nice to have them see where I'm from and hopefully get to know me a little better.  Thanks for all the suggestions on where to take them!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Amy! Saw your blog on your facebook :) Um...this post summed up my feelings about myself --jack (jill?) of all trades, master of none? hehe I'm definitely a blogger of nothing that truly matters, but it is fun to just bang something out from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy -- I identify with a lot of what you're saying, and I think most people our age would too. Even several years removed from college, we're still trying to figure out what we can really do with ourselves that will make us happy.
    Good to hear your thoughts -- and you're certainly not alone.
    Aaron W.

    ReplyDelete