Monday, December 31, 2012

Closing out 2012!

Due to lack of internet and fighting with my phone, I am STILL behind on posting photos from leaving Lexington, our trip to Las Vegas, and our first Christmas here.  All coming soon, I promise!

Dad and I had an awesome trip from Kentucky to Nevada.  I'm so glad he was with me for the drive.  First, because it was great to see so much of America for the first time together; secondly, the second day of driving was difficult and I'm glad he was behind the wheel!  The last 200 miles were the toughest but we made it.

More details and pictures to come, but in brief, Albuquerque was GROSS, Flagstaff was magically beautiful with snow, and there wasn't much in between!  Dad had a fun couple of days with us in Vegas.  He was surprised at how nice our house is, how green the landscaping is, and at how boring we found the slot machines!  He called the Strip "Gatlinburg on steroids"--and I kind of agree!

Things here so far have been very busy but I'm settling in okay.  The last couple of days have been very welcomed--we've been on the go since I arrived.  Unpacking, having Ryiah for several days, getting HR tasks accomplished for work, having Sean's family here, and having Christmas activities wtih them and Ryiah has left little time to relax.

I've only been lost a couple of times--thank God for Nav on the iPhone!  The most frustrating and difficult thing so far has been getting around to things we need.  There is no running around the corner for toilet paper or milk; everything is a stop or two up or down the freeway.  And I am most annoyed at the retail landscape here.  EVERYTHING is tucked back into shopping centers designed to conceal things from the road so it is VERY hard to SEE a store even when you have the address.  Most notably, I drove around shopping centers searching for the drug-testing clinic (for my new job).... couldn't find it and looked for so long that I finally had to give up and go to the bathroom at a McDonalds!

It's also been tough to have so many friends on east coast time and so few friends on Vegas-time so far. I keep wanting to call Marilee, Mark or my mom at 8:30 or 9 p.m., only to realize they would have some choice words for me being it's night-time in Kentucky!  I will be very glad to meet some new friends here, soon.

Sean has been pretty patient with me and in return I've tried to be as independent as possible.  We have both loved getting to see and have Ryiah so often.  It is, however, hard to suddenly learn how to help care for a three-year-old!  I've been informed on a few occassions that I'm not very good at fixing hair and breakfast yet, but I will learn.  Ryiah is hilarious and sweet and definitely the whole reason we made this move, and I am loving that she has two houses near each other now and can see her dad all the time.  We have spoiled her with worms and fish for Christmas--another post with photos to come

I start my new job Wednesday as the Vice President of Business Development for HCA's Far West Division.  They have been sending me documents and background information to prepare.  I'm VERY excited and VERY nervous to dig into a new industry and new position.  But I am definitely ready for the challenge.  This is the biggest challenge I've taken on in my career since WEG, and I'm so lucky and happy for the opportunity.

All in all, 2012 was a year of transition for me.  I'm looking forward to getting into the swing of a routine with a new job, new family, new city, and new life in 2013.  Sean and I have truly been blessed in our careers this year and with that the ability to be with and provide for Ryiah.  Here's hoping that the New Year fulfills the promises and desires that we have worked so hard to achieve!

Wishing all my friends and family--near and far--and prosperous and joyous 2013.  Please visit us soon!

XO

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment