Wednesday, December 12, 2012

FOUR: A note about some really awesome people who (sometimes) wear red shoes



Last night was my last meeting with the Red Shoe Society, the young professional board of Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Bluegrass.  And it was the first time I've been sad about leaving Lexington!

For those who do not know, the Ronald McDonald House of the Bluegrass serves Kentucky by providing families a comfortable, compassionate and convenient place to stay while a child is in the hospital in Lexington.  Many of these families are here for months at a time, and stay at the house for little to no cost while also getting assistance with transportation, meals and other needs.  Because children unfortunately always have illnesses, the need for the house never goes away.

The Red Shoe Society started in 2010 to get young professionals engaged in the charity--and I have to say it's the BEST volunteer group I have ever joined!  This group is ambitious, driven, and FUN!  How many organizations do you know that, in just its second year of existence, can throw a fashion show with stars from Project Runway?

I hope my Lexington friends will keep this organization growing! We raised more than $15,000 for RMHC of the Bluegrass this year, and from last night's meeting, I know that great things are in store for 2013.  I hope I get to come back for a least an event--or two.

Love my Red Shoes! 












2 comments:

  1. What a fun blog post, Amy! Lexington AND the Red Shoes are sure going to miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Jen's comment!
    This is great, you are great, and the Red Shoes are experiencing a great loss. Thank you for your hardwork and dedication. I look forward to visiting and I am proud to call you a fellow 'Shoe' and friend.

    P.s. May I 'steal' this? -with the appropriate recognition

    -Sarah J

    ReplyDelete